Practical information in different languages:
Address: Strada Aurel Vlaicu, Cluj-Napoca - postal code 400690 - Expo Transilvania Expo Center. There is no number. Everyone in the city knows where it is.
Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in Romanian, English, Spanish, German, French and Russian by COATI.
FACILITIES AND FOOD AT EXPO TRANSILVANIA
- electricity (Romania's electrical current is 220 V. Sockets take the standard continental European dual round-pronged plugs)
- food: small breakfast, lunch and diner will be provided.
- a children’s area with activities and animators will be provided so that children can stay in a safe place during the meetings.
A permanent peasant market will take place outside the venue of the forum, every day, between 10:00 - 18:00. Peasant’s Market celebrates healthy food, produced by small families of farmers, with respect for the environment and consumers. The small producers will delight you with goodies produced according to traditional recipes or creative own recipes. Vegetables, cheese, bread, pies, honey, jams, zacusca, spices, syrups, teas and others will be waiting for you at the stands in the parking from Expo Transilvania.
Cluj-Napoca is the second most populated city in Romania (340,000 inhabitants), after the national capital Bucharest. The city is located in the heart of the historical province of Transilvania, which is famous for it’s peasant traditional agriculture. It is a very popular university city, for Romanian and also foreign students. In 2015, Cluj-Napoca was European Youth Capital. The most touristic part of the city is the old center, where you can admire the old streets and the houses in Baroque style.
Few history marks:
After the Roman Empire conquered Dacia in the beginning of the 2nd century, Trajan established a legion base known as Napoca.
In the 16th century Cluj became part of the independent Principality of Transylvania. The city wasn’t the capital but the main cultural and religious center for the principality.During the 19th century, Cluj-Napoca was the capital of the Grand Principality of Transylvania within the Austrian Empire.
After World War I, Cluj became part of the Kingdom of Romania, along with the rest of Transylvania. In 1940 Cluj was returned to Hungary through the Second Vienna Award, but Hungarian forces in the city were defeated by the Soviet and Romanian armies in October 1944. Cluj was restored to Romania by the Treaty of Paris in 1947.
To find an accommodation in Cluj-Napoca you can use the following website:
or you can use THIS LIST with all the cheapest hostels and hotels next to Expo Transylvania. You can also find some information about how to get to Expo Transylvania from each hotel.
If you need support for your booking, please contact Juliette Cholay - juliette [at] ecoruralis.ro
MEANS OF TRANSPORT
1 ticket costs 4 Lei - it’s a round trip ticket so you can use it twice. You can buy a ticket at every bus station with cash payment. Some bus stations also have tickets machines where you can use both cash and card payments. You can’t buy a ticket directly in a bus .
To see maps and timetables please check the public transport website
The taxi is a very reliable mean of transportation in Cluj Napoca and generally in Romania. More information.
1,80 Lei/km. Cash payment only.
- Nova Taxi - 0040264949 / 0040745151000 / 0040788355455
- Diesel Taxi - 0040264) 946 / 0040722922211 / 0040744646663
- Atlas Taxi - 0040264969 / 0040743111969 / 0040726777969
- Taxi Napoca - 0040264953 / 0040722642251 / 0040744930872
- Pritax - 0040264942
- Pro Rapid Taxi - 0040264948 / 0040745825045 / 0040731514287
- Terra Fan - 0040264944
How to get to Cluj-Napoca?
Cluj Napoca has an international airport.
From the airport to your accommodation:
- bus : lines 5 and 8 (check the map of the public transport to find the closest bus station to your accommodation ) - 4 Lei / 1 ticket
- taxi : it costs around 30 Lei to get to the city center. Be careful : don’t take the “Activ Taxi” which are very expensive.
From the train station Gara Mica to your accommodation:
- bus : lines 3, 4, 5, 9, 27, 31, 39, 39L, 100, 101 (check the map of the public transport to find the closest bus station to your accommodation) - 4 Lei / 1 ticket
- taxi : it costs around 10 Lei to get to the city center.
From station Beta / Fany to your accommodation:
- bus : lines 31, 39, 39L (check the map of the public transport to find the closest bus station to your accommodation) - 4 Lei / 1 ticket
- taxi : around 10 Lei to get to the city center.
From bus station Sens-Vest to your accommodation:
- bus : lines 23, 36B, 48, 50, 52 (check the map of the public transport to find the closest bus station to your accommodation) - 4 Lei / 1 ticket
- taxi : around 15 Lei to get to the city center.
How to get to Expo Transilvania?
From the city center:
- bus : line 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8L, 30 or 46B (check the map of the public transport to find the closest bus station to your accommodation) - 4 Lei / 1 ticket. Stop at the bus station Siretului. Expo Transilvania is on the left side of the street - you need to go down the stairs and you will see the expo site.
- taxi : 10-15 lei from the center of the city.
- car : Head east on Calea Dorobanților/DN1C/E576 (1,4km). Use the middle lane to turn left onto Aleea Bibliotecii/DN1C/E576. At the roudabout take the first exit onto Strada Aurel Vlaicu/DN1C/E576. Continue for 300m, then turn slight right onto DC142D. Continue and turn slight left onto DC142D and then slight right onto Strada Ialomiței. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Strada Dâmboviței. Go straight, the parking of Expo Transilvania will be on your right.
FOREIGN EXCHANGE AND BANKING
Romania's currency is Leu (plural "Lei") and its abbreviation is RON. The banknote denominations are: 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 200 and 500 lei; the coins are: 1, 5, 10 and 50 bani (1 leu = 100 bani).
Travellers can enter and leave Romania with up to 10,000 Euros in cash or traveller’s checks.
Foreign currencies may be exchanged at banks or authorized exchange offices (called: "casa de schimb" or "birou de schimb valutar"). You can also exchange currencies at the airport or in large hotels. The exchange rates offered by the exchange offices can be lower than the official rates.
ATM machines are available at the main banks, at the airport, and in shopping centers. Major credit cards including American Express, Mastercard and Visa are accepted at large hotels, car rental companies and supermarkets.
The official rates for foreign currencies, valid on 15 June 2016:
1 Euros = 4,53 Lei
1 British Pound = 5,71 Lei
More information for citizens of the world who need visas to enter Romania, can be found here
ONLINE APPLICATION: You can apply online for Romanian visas here
EMBASSIES: Find Romanian embassies around the world here
CONTACT SUPPORT: If you are from a region/country that needs visa, please contact Eco Ruralis association, for support and more information, regarding the visa process:
Phone/fax: +40 264 599 204
Ramona Duminicioiu - ramona [at] ecoruralis.ro
Juliette Cholay - juliette [at] ecoruralis.ro
Raluca Dan - raluca [at] ecoruralis.ro
A permanent medical service will be at the disposal of the participants at all times, at the forum.
WEATHER AND TIME
In late October the temperatures in Cluj-Napoca are usually between 0°C and 15°C. In average, it’s raining 2 or 3 days a week. Weather forecast in Cluj-Napoca.
Romania is in Eastern European Time Zone (CET+01:00). Time in Cluj-Napoca.
General information: info [at] nyelenieurope.net
Media, program and registration: communication [at] nyelenieurope.net
Accommodation: Juliette Cholay - juliette [at] ecoruralis.ro
International Transport: olcay [at] eurovia.org
Visas - contact persons:
- Ramona Duminicioiu - ramona [at] ecoruralis.ro
- Juliette Cholay - juliette [at] ecoruralis.ro
- Raluca Dan - raluca [at] ecoruralis.ro
Regional contact offices:
ROMANIA (Eco Ruralis office)
Strada David Ferenc (Francisc), nr.10, ap. 5, 400102 Cluj Napoca
Phone / Fax: 0040 264 599 204
BELGIUM (European Coordination Via Campesina office)
Rue de la Sablonnière 18, 1000 Bruxelles
Phone: 0032 2 217 31 12 / Fax: 0032 2 218 45 09